Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Challenge Yourself

Today I challenged myself. I challenged myself to give "screamo" music a chance. Why? Because a dear friend if mine challenged all his friends to do so. Little does he realize, I actually took this challenge, and it really impacted me. I've always turned my nose up towards music like this. I referred to it as "angry" and "scary" music. I told people I was way too happy for music like this and I wouldn't be caught dead listening to music with a bunch of guys screaming into a mic. I'd stare wide-eyed at my friend whenever he played "punk" or "screamo" music around me. I judged the genre (and even my friend) before I even gave it a chance, and that was a mistake.

Going into this challenge, I wasn't expecting to enjoy what I heard. I definitely didn't go into it with an open mind like my friend instructed. Halfway through the first song, I had the volume cranked and I felt empowered and inspired. I wanted to get up and move around. It was passionate. Not just the one song, but every song I listened to in this "hardcore" genre. It made me think, question my lifestyle, and it even encouraged me to be strong as I go through my current hardships. It was beautiful.

Never in a million years would I expect myself to actually enjoy this genre of music, but I did. It was empowering and I couldn't get enough of it. I even went home and bought several songs afterwards. Taking this challenge opened my eyes without a doubt. It definitely changed my views and it might even change my life someday...

So now, I give you the same challenge...give this style of music a chance before you start judging and making up stereotypes for it. One song. That is all it takes. You can even find covers of pop songs in this genre. There is something for everyone in this scene...who knows what you might find...but you'll never know unless you give it a chance.

1 comment:

  1. I've always believed that when we stop experiencing new things and stretching ourselves out of our comfort zones, we begin to die a little. And yes, I'll check it out- you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete